Saturday, April 19, 2008

googhydr-20, who are you?

I've been researching different ways to make money on the web using arbitrage. I've used credit card arbitrage for a long time (it's how I paid off my 6 years of college debt in 2 years, but that's a story for another day). Credit Card arbitrage is getting harder to do because too many people know about it, and because the prime rate is so low and cards rarely offer free balance transfers anymore, so what you can make per month on it is nominal and not worth my time anymore. So I've started looking for a new slight of hand to make a few extra bucks here and there.

The thing I've read a lot about recently and have been doing some research on is adwords arbitrage using google adwords. In doing some various tests, there seems to be someone out there that is a step ahead of me at every turn. With the big ole internet, I'm pretty used to that. In fact, there are usually thousands ahead of me. Everywhere I turn I keep seeing one particular amazon associate id (googhydr-20, and of also googhydr-21 on amazon.co.uk). This person seems to have tagged every single amazon product and nearly ever possible google search keyword! I'm amazed! I can only guess that this person, whoever they are have managed to amass a large fortune for themselves.

Oddly enough, nobody else has written about this person that I can tell. I googled googhydr and googhydr-20 just to confirm, and all I can find is 3 pages of links where folks have copy/pasted the URL into their blog to talk about a product. They're all random folks too so I don't think they even realize they're giving this person some free press. So it makes me start to wonder... [tinkly music should play here, but I was too lazy to search for some in creative commons] Is this possibly Google's ID? Are they getting amazon referral fees for forwarding traffic to amazon (probably at the tick of 8-10% per amazon transaction)? I tried to figure out what the tracking ID stood for, but the best I can come up with for googhydr is "Google Hider."

In any case, I found this amazing, and since nobody has managed to write about it, I decided it was my time.

More on my forays in arbitrage to come.

Oh, and if you want to help me out. Click on the Amazon spinner below. I picked out a few interesting songs that I'd heard today, and I thought you might like as well. Amazon has an amazing MP3 store now with DRM-Free music (can I hear a wooo hooo?) priced at a great price (.89-.99 per track). And even better, I get 10% commission if I can point people to go there and buy.

28 comments:

David Cowgill said...

Funny...I recently started doing the same and noticed googhydr everywhere too.

I'm sure he/she put in a lot of work to set all their adgroups up in adwords.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it...thanks for the post. :-)

Anonymous said...

who is this googhydr-21 git

ZhunZi said...

It looks like anything that ends in "-21" is for the amazon.co.uk store.

Anonymous said...

It's more likely to be the agency that handles Amazon's search marketing using it for tracking purposes.

If you check out Yahoo and search for products where Amazon ads list, the tracking ID there is yahhyd - pretty similar.

Anonymous said...

googhydr-20 is brandy lowery according to

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/765359/learning_to_read_again.html?cat=38

or one of the employee works for agency that handles amazon's advertising. It seems unfair for Amazon to compete with their associates in search engine marketing cuz some associates are using their own money to promote amazon products on search engine.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

googhydr-20 is amazon.com, you can tell because some amazon banned keywords (like amazon, kindle, etc...) that most affiliate can't use. It's okay for googhydr-20 to use, so.... you guess it. It's amazon's Google marketing campaign.

Anonymous said...

it is amazon. this is obvious because they are both bidding on "banned" (for their associates) keywords and are not using different tags (which means they must have access to the domain's logs/server).

Anonymous said...

Do you think he is this guy ?

http://www.googhydr.com

Anonymous said...

http://www.googhydr.com/

ZhunZi said...

I've actually bought the underlying software they're trying to sell on googhydr.com, it's called Amazon Hunter 2. You definitely could create those kinds of links with the software, but I don't think that's what's generated them all. It's OK software, however I put a solid 3 full days into making it work and churn out money, but it just wouldn't do it. After $20 invested in adwords, I made $0.00. I at least made $.30 off $2 of adwords that I made custom ads for myself. So I took advantage of the 100% satisfaction guarantee and got my money back. I personally don't think it works, but maybe I just didn't know what I was doing.

I think I agree that it's probably someone in amazon marketing buying the ads. You'd think that they'd let their affiliates do it for them, but even copying the same exact ad text as a googhydr your ad will rarely be on page 1 for anything less than $.20/click. It makes me think that they have their willingness to spend level set pretty high, or that they've just been in Google so long that their relevance is impossible to come close to.

Anonymous said...

just look it about 565,188.78THB ~~ 16 292.697 U.S. dollars

someone who want to make money on the another person is just a stupid guy!

ZhunZi said...

Well, just a few notes about that check picture:

1) It's not in dollars, even so, it looks like a considerable amount of money, and I still wouldn't mind cashing it myself. :)

2) It doesn't appear to be from google (adsense money) or amazon (what googhydr-20 is used for). I can't read thai, so I don't know who the company name is up in the top left, but I am curious.

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Great idea ! Even he's not googhydr, I think he's very clever guy.

I love his idea. He should got a lot of commission from CB. Why I didn't think something like this before. :-)

Anonymous said...

roflmao

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

googhydr.com is the seo demo site.

He registered for SEO and research reason.

I love his idea. He can convert the world confusing to money.

Is it the good lesson to learn?
You are right! He is very clever, popula and alway gives us the excellent knowleges.

Andres Ferraro said...

Googlhydr seems short for Google Hydra - a mythical three-headed monster.

off99555 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
off99555 said...

I know who is googhydr-20, here is his website: www.googhydr.com

He is Thai people like me! But he isn't me. lol

He is the founder of www.thaiseoboard.com that is the most popular SEO teaching webboard for Thai people around our country.

He is the super SEO-er!
He can bring traffic to his website about million unique IPs in just less than a half of year easily!

His name is Solbugtung. I'll stay amazing with you.

off99555 said...

And here is the proof, you see at the monitor? His website is showing!
Here YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EncvGvodfTk&NR=1

I will translate it for you, the title of it is "Seminar Mr.Sol"

Oh! And I read every comments here, I see the comment that think he is get money $500,000. But not, he is get just ฿500,000. In keyboard with Thai layout will have that symbol '฿'. It's read as "Baht" not "Dollars". The amount of it just ฿35 = $1.
The value of Baht and Dollars are not static, it changes everyday.

Sorry, I don't good at English. Because I'm Thai, understand?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sandrabullock said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It's funny how many people run into the same google/amazon quirks.

Good job to you for posting about it and catching all of us flies with this honeypot.

Does anyone have any resource articles or suggestions about using Amazon AWS to create SEO friendly content pages in order to not directly compete with these entities? In other words, not linking directly to Amazon, but rather linking to your site which links to Amazon.

Unknown said...

http://daftseo.com/who-is-amazon-affiliate-googhydr-20/

It's amazon!

Unknown said...

http://daftseo.com/who-is-amazon-affiliate-googhydr-20/

It's Amazon!

Anonymous said...

Amazon do not allow affiliates to advertise on Google (or any major search engine). The reason is because they want to advertise there themselves and not have to compete with affiliates. So the hydr tag is Amazon themselves.

Anonymous said...

Late to the party, but I didn't know about this and came across your blog.

To me, the "hydr" in the ID doesn't suggest "hider", but "hydra". Which seems likely to a reference to the mythical beast, and "goog" to mean either that it's google's bot, or that it's meant to be a "google hydra" in that it uses AdWords's power to achieve its domination goal, and it may not be Google at all. Some say it's Amazon, but really it could be anyone.