Thursday, July 07, 2005

MythTV Update 1

Well, I think I have all the components now to get this thing working. I found an article on how to get myth working with the model 980 card here:

http://www.byopvr.com/Sections+index-req-viewarticle-artid-13-page-1.html

I ended up and went over budget a little bit because I chose a more expensive case than I really needed. I really liked the small form factor case, and it was worth going ~$100 over budget. The AOpen EZ18 case with built in motherboard is awesome. It's got an nVidia MX onboard video that can support 2 (count them, 2) monitors, and 1 S-Video out. It also has built in firewire, and a nice little flip down fronts that obscure an optical drive that's color doesn't match.

AOpen EZ18 [$159.99 after $20 mail-in rebate @ NewEgg.com]
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ [$77.99 @ NewEgg.com]
Corsair 512mb PC3200 RAM [$39.50 @ NewEgg.com]
Maxtor 200gb HD [$69.99 w/free shipping @ Outpost.com]
Hauppauge PVR-250 Model 980 Video Capture/Tuner Card [$125.99 w/free shipping @ Buy.com]

I managed to time a few of my purchases just right to get some great deals. My advice is just watch for deals. Two days after my PVR-250 arrived, buy.com had a dual tuner hauppauge for just $5 more than I paid. I was a bit dismayed, but oh well. I think I hit some great deals on the AOpen box & the hard drive. I'll eventually replace the 250 with a dual tuner, especially if I can find a deal like buy.com had last week. The downfall of going with the SFF case is that it only has 1 PCI slot. So my second tuner either has to be on 1 card, or I have to go with a firewire device.

In order to install KnoppMyth, I had to borrow my DVD drive from my other desktop. I'll eventually put a DVD Burner in this case, but again, waiting on the right deal.

Total cost so far: $520.35*

* - I could have saved about $15 by not splurging on 2-day shipping and expedited handling on my newegg order. I was on vacation when I ordered it and I wanted to get it ASAP so I could tinker.

No comments: